Reading Level: 5.4
Number Words: 30,000
Point Value: 4
1. What was the name of the ranch Esperanza lived on in Mexico?
El Rancho de las Rosas
2. After what storm did Esperanza's mother get sick?
3. Who got Abuelita out of Mexico?
4. When the woman came on the train what was in her wired cage?
six red hens
5. What was the mean striker girl's name?
6. What was Esperanza's father's name?
7. What was Esperanza's mother's name?
8. What does Miguel call Esperanza?
9. What is Isabel's best friend's name?
10. What are the twin babies names?
Juan and Josefina
Lupe and Pep
Frederico and Carmen
Alfonso and Hortensia
11. What did they have every Friday?
12. What was Alfonso's cousin's name?
13. Which striker did Esperanza find after the police took the other strikers away?
14. In Mexico, what was supposed to happen when you turn 15?
you write stories
you have a presentation party
15. Why wouldn't Esperanza and her family strike?
they were too poor
they didn't understand how to strike
they didn't want to lose their jobs
they were afraid
16. Why can't Abuelita come with Esperanza to California?
she hurt her ankle
she broke her arm
she hurt her back
she broke her ribs
17. Who wanted to marry Ramona?
18. What was in the bag that Alfonso and Miguel watered train stops?
19. Where did Miguel always want to work?
at a factory
on a farm
at the railroad
at a gas station
20. What did Abuelita tell Esperanza to do on her blanket stitching?
only do one stitch
skip every other stitch
go down and then up
go up to the mountain and down to the valley